Pakistan has achieved a significant milestone by assembling 10.87 million mobile handsets within the country during the first eight months of 2023, showcasing remarkable manufacturing prowess. This impressive figure vastly surpasses the relatively modest 0.84 million units that were commercially imported during the same period. The surge in local mobile phones production not only underscores the nation’s growing self-sufficiency but also highlights the technological capabilities of its mobile handset industry.

In comparison, there were 21.94 million in the year 2022, a bit less than the 24.66 million produced in 2021. This decrease can be linked to various factors, one of the major ones being import challenges due to restrictions on opening Letters of Credit (LCs). The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) suggests that about 1.53 million handsets were brought into the country from international manufacturers in the last calendar year.

In the most recent report, we’ve learned that a remarkable 7.62 million units sold this year are 2G phones, while the remaining 3.04 million devices are smartphones. These numbers give us insight into how the mobile market is changing. They show that people still want traditional 2G phones, but smartphones are becoming more and more popular.

Must Read: PTA Taxes on iPhone 15 & 15 Plus Models: A Comprehensive Guide

According to the PTA, most of the mobile devices in Pakistan are smartphones, making up 56 percent of all the smartphones used in the country. On the other hand, 44 percent of mobile devices are still using 2G networks, which means that more and more people in Pakistan prefer smartphones. However, it’s important to note that a significant portion of the population still relies on older technology for their mobile communication needs.

The most recent statistics from the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) reveal a remarkable 76% increase in the number of mobile phones imported in Pakistan in the first two months of this fiscal year.

A PBS report released recently discloses that mobile phone imports in August 2023 reached an impressive $111.34 million, marking a substantial 77 percent surge compared to the same month in 2022. This data underscores the incredible growth in the mobile phone industry and signals a rising demand for these devices in the market.

In another remarkable surge, mobile phone imports in July 2023 reached a staggering $68.13 million, representing an impressive 76 percent increase compared to the same period last year. Pakistan’s mobile phone industry is undoubtedly on an upward trajectory, positioning the country as a significant player in the global mobile manufacturing landscape.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here