The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), CEO, Wasim Khan has told the news outlet, Geo News that he has received a positive response from the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after the PCB sent a formal letter to the English board earlier in the week, inviting England Cricket team to tour Pakistan in January.
Sources have now suggested that the series will likely go ahead and shall be played between January 13-20.
Khan has also confirmed that a security inspection team of Cricket South Africa is also set to visit the home nation of Pakistan in November to see for themselves the arrangements that are being put in place for their South Africa Cricket Team’s scheduled tour to Pakistan, next year.
In regards with the new developments, Khan says that “We have taken another step towards bringing cricket to Pakistan and have formally invited England for a series of three T20Is in Pakistan. I am in contact with my England counterpart for last few days and they’re considering our invitation, It will be very important series for us to improve our image as a host and we’ll do our best to make it happen,”.
Must Read : Umar Gul retires from all forms of cricket
However, Wasim insisted that this is not reciprocal to Pakistan’s summer tour to England in the middle of COVID-19 pandemic. The PCB CEO also said that the crisis in Cricket South Africa will not be troubling the team’s tour to Pakistan and series is set to go ahead as scheduled.
Conversely, the ECB has said that it is committed to doing whatever it can to help international cricket make its way back to the cricket loving nation of Pakistan and have provided noteworthy assurances to the PCB.
The statement submitted by ECB has also confirmed that their board have received a formal invitation from Pakistan and that they shall be considering the many aspects regarding the possibility of playing a series in the country, before making the final call.
The ECB added that “After discussions with the Pakistan Cricket Board, we can confirm the England and Wales Cricket Board has received an invitation in respect of a short white-ball tour to Pakistan during the early part of 2021, As with any proposed tour that takes place at this time, the safety and welfare of our players and staff is paramount,”
They added that “As such, there are a number of factors that need to be taken into consideration, including the proposed protocols in relation to COVID-19 bio-secure bubbles, the proposed levels of security around the team, as well as the feasibility of undertaking this tour against the backdrop of an already busy schedule of international cricket for the England men’s team. We will be liaising with the PCB, and as well as other partners over the coming weeks to work through these considerations, before a final decision will be taken in due course.” The statement concluded.