The worlds of lighting and telecommunications converged today. Signify (Euronext: LIGHT), the world leader in lighting, launched a new range of LiFi systems that includes the world’s fastest and most reliable LiFi systems commercially available. The range, branded Trulifi, leverages existing and future professional luminaires. Instead of using radio signals (such as WiFi, 4G/5G, Bluetooth, etc.), Trulifiuses light waves to enable highly reliable, secure two-way wireless communications at speeds far above most conventional workplace wireless technologies.
Trulifi uses optical wireless transceiver technology built, or retrofitted, into Philips luminaires. This means customers don’t have to rip and replace their existing lighting infrastructure to receive great quality light and wireless connectivity.
Trulifi overcomes the increasing congestion of the radio spectrum and is perfect for areas where radio frequencies don’t work well, or at all, or are not permitted (see use cases in Notes to Editors).
The new range comprises Trulifi-enabled luminaires providing wireless connectivity at speeds up to 150 Megabits per second (Mbps) over large spaces, such as meeting rooms and office floors. There is seamless handover between each Trulifi-enabled luminaire enabling users to roam around. The speed is fast enough to stream simultaneously 30 1080p HDTV movies. A USB-access key, plugged into a laptop, is needed to receive the LiFi signal and acts as an emitter to send data back to the luminaire.
The Trulifi range also includes a fixed point-to-point system, up to 250 Mbps speed, which acts like a wireless cable, ideal for connecting devices. Potential applications include connecting robots or machines in radio frequency (RF) harsh environments like industrial plants, or hospitals where RF communications may not be permitted, or where there’s a need to send and receive large data files securely and quickly.
“Trulifi underlines our strategy to unlock the potential of light to address new high-growth markets,” explained Olivia Qiu, Chief Innovation Officer at Signify. “Through our global presence, large installed base and industry knowledge, we’ll help existing and new customers to leverage their lighting infrastructures to receive reliable, secure, high-speed wireless communication at a very competitive price-point. Wherever there’s light, there can now be wireless communication.”
“Signify is positioned to deliver on the promise of LiFi with attractively priced offerings that could help overcome the budget barrier for potential customers. Signify has also adopted the ITU G.9991 LiFi standard, which is aligned with the market’s move toward increased standardization,” said Krystal Maxwell, Senior Research Analyst, Navigant Research.
Notes to Editors
Trulifi range announced today:
- Trulifi 6001: LiFi system using visible light with a speed of up to 30 Mbps (available since 2018). Coverage beam of 2m diameter at 2m ceiling height using Trulifi-enabled Philips Power Balance gen2 luminaire (3m diameter at 2.5m height).
- Trulifi 6002 series supports offices, healthcare, hospitality and transport markets. LiFi systems use two-way infrared light up to 150 Mbps up and down with a beam of approximately 2.2m diameter per transceiver at 2m height. They provide wireless connectivity in any lighting condition – even with the lights off.
- Trulifi 6013: LiFi system that uses two-way colored light to create a robust, secure 250 Mbps up and down fixed point-to-point connection with a beam of 20cm at 2m. Connects devices up to 8m.
All systems available globally now. Trulifi 6002 will be available in the US in Autumn, 2019.
Advantages and use cases of Trulifi:
- Trulifi overcomes issues of network overload, providing guaranteed bandwidth, even at busy times. The LiFi spectrum is more than 1,000 times the size of the radio spectrum so running out of spectrum is no longer an issue. Trulifi is ideal for busy areas such as multi-tenancy buildings, stations, airports and public venues such as concerts.
- Trulifi works well in places where radio frequencies are not permitted or may cause interference with other machines e.g. some schools, hospitals, aircraft, industrial plants, etc.
- It can also be used in areas where radio frequencies don’t work well or at all e.g. underground
- Trulifi is as reliable and secure as wired communications and ideally suited for applications where data is kept securely e.g. back office of financial institutions, government services, temporary workers such as audit and inspection teams.
- It uses AES 128 encryption, requires a USB access key, and has an extra-layer of security built-in as light waves cannot penetrate walls.
- LiFi is the only wireless technology able to provide a guaranteed speed, as there is no interference with other radio communication systems.