The future of internet connectivity in Pakistan is set to undergo a groundbreaking transformation with the imminent arrival of ultra-fast gigabit fiber internet in eleven major cities. This remarkable development has been revealed through government documents obtained exclusively by ProPakistani. The Public Sector Development Project (PDSP) budget for the period 2022-2024 showcases a comprehensive outline of ongoing and upcoming projects, with a particular focus on the Ministry of Planning, Development, and Special Initiatives.
Expanding upon the Information Technology and Telecom Division, one scheme, in particular, stands out—a groundbreaking project that aims to extend Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) Fiber to the Home (FTTH) services to eleven prominent cities in Pakistan.
In simpler terms, the advent of super-fast gigabit internet in additional cities is fast approaching, as earlier mentioned. Although the project’s approval status currently remains “under process,” it is evident that this revolutionary initiative is poised to reshape the digital landscape of the country.
With a government-approved budget of Rs. 800 million solely dedicated to this project, it is important to note that there is no foreign aid involved, showcasing Pakistan’s commitment to self-reliance in its pursuit of cutting-edge technological advancements. Additionally, an additional allocation of Rs. 50 million is expected to be made during the fiscal year 2023-2024, further emphasizing the government’s commitment to ensuring the success of this transformative venture.
Expanding Horizons: Other Noteworthy Development Projects
Apart from the groundbreaking gigabit fiber internet initiative, the government is actively pursuing numerous other noteworthy projects within the IT sector. These initiatives are poised to bolster Pakistan’s technological landscape and empower its citizens in various domains. Here are some of the key projects that have been highlighted in the aforementioned document:
- Knowledge Parks: The government plans to establish four additional knowledge parks across the country. These knowledge parks will serve as hubs of innovation, research, and development, fostering collaboration between academia, industry, and government institutions.
- Technology Park Development: A cutting-edge technology park is in the pipeline, designed to promote technological advancements and serve as a catalyst for the growth of the IT sector in Pakistan. This state-of-the-art facility will provide a nurturing environment for startups, entrepreneurs, and established companies alike, fostering innovation and driving economic growth.
- Online Recruitment System for FPSC: The Federal Public Service Commission (FPSC) is set to undergo a digital transformation with the introduction of an online recruitment system. This modernization initiative will streamline the recruitment process, making it more efficient, transparent, and accessible for job seekers across the nation.
- Smart Offices for Federal Ministries and Departments: The government aims to revolutionize the work environment within federal ministries and departments by implementing smart office solutions. These cutting-edge technologies will enhance productivity, facilitate collaboration, and optimize resource allocation, ultimately resulting in improved service delivery to the public.
- Broadband Expansion in Kashmir and Gilgit: Bridging the digital divide is a top priority for the government, and as part of this commitment, plans are underway to expand broadband services in Kashmir and Gilgit. This initiative will empower residents of these regions by providing them with reliable and high-speed internet connectivity, enabling them to harness the vast opportunities offered by the digital age.
These are just a few of the many exciting projects that the government of Pakistan is diligently working on. With a strong focus on technology-driven solutions and inclusive development, the nation is poised to embrace a future where connectivity and innovation go hand in hand.
In conclusion, the impending arrival of ultra-fast gigabit fiber internet in eleven cities across Pakistan signifies a monumental leap forward in the country’s digital evolution. Through relentless pursuit and strategic investments in groundbreaking projects, the government is paving the way for a more connected and technologically empowered Pakistan. As these initiatives come to fruition, Pakistan is set to claim its position as a frontrunner in the global digital landscape, unlocking a multitude of opportunities for its citizens and businesses alike.