Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) put up efforts to generate a new auction process which has been dated to October 31, 2016.
Earlier it was dated to occur on the October 3, 2016 and the application was to be submitted on August 15, 2016.
But now the new dates are September 15, for application and October 31, 2016 for the auction.
DTH License Fee Details
- Three (3) licenses for Direct-To-Home distribution service (DTH License), provided that there are enough eligible applicants, shall be awarded.
- A single DTH License shall be awarded to any single applicant company.
- The Base Price for DTH License shall be Pak Rs. 200 million
- An annual variable license fee of 2% of the gross revenue generated from DTH SERVICE & fixed annual fee of PKR 10 Million will be paid to PEMRA
- The variable fee shall be waived of for initial three years w.e.f. the date of issuance of license.
- DTH licenses will be issued through an open bidding process on October 3rd, 2016
- The applicant company shall submit application along with a non-refundable processing fee of Rs. 500,000/-in the form of Demand Draft or Pay Order drawn in favor of PEMRA.
- The complete applications along with required documents must reach the address given below on or before 15-08-2016 till 1600 hours Pakistan Standard Time.
- Only shortlisted applicant companies shall be invited to participate in the bidding process for the award of DTH Distribution Service licenses.
- DTH licenses won’t be issued to companies that operate in broadcast media (electronic TV channel holders).
- One company must not control (directly or indirectly) more than one DTH license
- Applicant must have at least 50% ownership from local partner.
- Through above criteria, Jang and ARY group have become ineligible. Similarly, one telco — that was previously shortlisted — has also become ineligible too as it was fully owned by a foreign group.
Timeline for the auction of DTH licenses is as following